And Still counting

My Every Word

Monday, December 28, 2015

The 12 month Experiment

The last 12 months for my wife and I have been absolutely chaotic. One thing has remained true for us, we love each other and that has only grown with the challenges that continue to be presented to us. As some may already know, Darlene has been struggling with her vision. Right now she has about 30% vision, and if you really take a moment to think about what that would be like you would see how challenging this year has been. There were some major accomplishments too! RJ is now in 5th grade, we got married in August, we paid $20k worth of debt in 2015.

This means that 2016 will have a lot in store for us too. Our goal is to handle another $20k in debt bringing our DTI to a more than acceptable range. It would only leave us about $15k worth of student loans which will be easy to consolidate. I plan to provide for my family in a way that is not only unconventional, but unique and out of the box.

Darlene's vision concerns me. There's no lying about that. My first instinct was to max out the credit cards and take her all over the world. She's too humble for all that. Instead I talked her into a 12 month Experiment. This means that every single month Darlene and I, and occasionally the kiddo too will be abiding by the following:
  • Take a 3 day weekend toad trip.
    • Destination to be determined by draw. That's right. By draw. Granted most international travel will be reserved for Spring and Summer, the wintery like months will be in the states.
  • We can fly, we can drive, we can train.
    • No 2 trips can be the same. You heard that. If we drive to LA, the next time we travel, it will be by plane, train, or greyhound.
  • No 2 same destinations. If we travel one month kid free - the following will be with the kid. Family time. The scenery, the loves of my life out and about with yours truly.
  • 25 picture minimum and I don't mean to ruin things, but this won't just be a #selfienation 25 pictures.
  • Fun- Love- and Map connecting.
    • I bought a map of the US earlier this year with plans to string the places we have been with dates. This will add to our map.
  • See things that we have never seen, do things we have never done, and soak in every single bit of joy and beauty that they eye can see and the skin can feel .
I'm excited for this adventure. I wish that I wasn't asking to start it based on her vision, but better late than never. I cant wait to continue our path with God leading our way. Thank you Jesus for almost another year!


No comments: