And Still counting

My Every Word

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Inspiration

Have you ever been influenced or inspired by someone who had no intention of doing so? I just had a conversation with a woman that I work with.  She was doing her make up in the bathroom and made mention that her electricity was out since 330am. In the process of telling me about her morning routine she said that all of Cave Creek was out and that she lived on the very North end. If you're a Phoenician, or have been to that part of Arizona, you know and understand that the area in which she lives is very very nice. Deserving of two "very's".

I don't think she had any intention of inspiring me, but she absolutely did. Over the course of the last year Darlene and I have been faced with challenge after challenge. Health mainly. My concerns have risen higher and higher with concern as to how I can continue to provide the lifestyle that we deserve to have. I'm not an expensive person, I have a very tight budget which we stick to for the most part. We really strive to ensure that everyone in our lives are taken care of too.

I have had this idea for over a year now. Piecing it together is always so much work. Here's the idea. Receiving unwanted items and finding ways to improve them for resale. In most cases people ditch what they can't use anymore or has been beaten by the sun. What if I took the time to reverse those effects or worked to find ways to revamp old items? I think it's worth it. Granted materials can be expensive. Just depends on the job. The bbq smoker paint was $9. It brought this thing completely back to life. The tricycle had to be done in several steps. remove the seat, the box in the back which was originally yellow. Lots of painters tape too. Spent roughly $3 on fixing this and was sold for $15. The chairs sold with a table that was painted similarly. All the table needed was screws. So to paint and fix those cost me $4 and the 2 chairs and table sold for $25. The ugly brown cushion chairs were a hot mess. When I received them I was wondering what on earth to do with them. Reupholstering them was super easy. So was the paint. Cost roughly $4 and sold with a table for $30. The entertainment center below was great. Loved that thing. Ended up giving it to a coworker who had a daughter that needed one.

 
Either way, this is my idea. Find items that are of LOW cost or free- fix - and recycle for profit. Problem here, I don't have a retail store. I don't have a space for items like this that would 1. Keep them protected (AND) 2. Keep me from feeling like a clutter maniac.
 
Here's my big big thought. What if- For an entire year - I worked to fix items. When making a profit, I put the money away and did not spend. Could I do something amazing with the money? Save for a home? Purchase a car? Provide for my little family. I think the answer is yes, and I also think that the possibilities are endless too. I have a semi creative mind, and I also have a patient wife who gives me honest feedback about my ideas.
 
So here we go. 2016 will mark the year of the fixer. The creative. The profit keeper to determine how far I can take this. Wish me luck!

 
 

No comments: